Since our founding in 1977, James R. Holley & Associates has had but one goal: Excellence in the work we perform for our clients.
Our reputation here at James R. Holley & Associates is based on performance. Our extensive list of private and municipal clients who continue to use our services again and again attest to the outstanding quality of our work. We pride ourselves on being large enough to accept the most challenging assignments, but small enough to be responsive to your needs. A multi-disciplined consulting firm, JRH’s staff are professionals who know that our existence is dependent upon maintaining the goodwill and satisfaction of our clients.
Who is Jim Holley?
Mr. Holley was born and raised in Shrewsbury and New Freedom area. He graduated from Susquehannock High School and Colorado School of Mines where he received his Geological Engineering Degree. He served 3 years in The US Marine Corp. which included serving in the Vietnam War and later returned to the area where he began working for Buchart-Horn, Inc., a large consulting engineering firm in York. After approximately 10 years, he left Buchart-Horn, Inc. to start his own company as he wanted to see smart and sustainable growth occur in the York County area. Over the years he became involved in multiple boards and organizations including but not limited to Southern York County School Board, Board of Directors for Susquehanna Bank, Southern York County Rotary, President of the Lafayette Club, Bon Air Country Club, York Hospital Board and Wellspan Health System Board . Mr. Holley’s original goal was to develop a small engineering company that would establish itself in the marketplace by providing excellent service to its clients. It was not his intention to develop into a large multi office consulting firm as he wanted to specialize in the York County area.
- July 1977 – James R. Holley & Associates, Inc. was founded in by James R. Holley and Henry S. McFall with operations at 1780 Andrew Street in West York with Henry McFall, Inc.
- 1979 – Operations moved to North Queen Street for approximately one year.
- End 1979 – Operations moved to 20 West Market Street.
- March 1989 – Operations moved into our present building at 18 South George Street.
- January 1978 – Dover Borough retained James R. Holley & Associates, Inc. as Borough Engineer. This was our first municipal client. As years progressed we continued to add municipal clients and have established our self as a very reputable consulting firm who’s success is attributable to the multitude of satisfied customers. We now have 18 municipal clients.
- 1981 – Started doing property surveys.
- 1983 – Providing full-time survey services.
- 1984 – Dennis E. Sarpen and Alan C. Wright became equal shareholders with James R. Holley and Henry S. McFall.
- January 1987 – The Company instituted their 401k Pension Plan for the employees.
- 1993 – Thomas L. Wallace and James W. Barnes became minority shareholders in James R. Holley & Associates, Inc.
- 2001 – Alan C. Wright returned his stock to the corporation to prepare for full retirement.
- 2004 – Mr. McFall retired from the company.
- 2008 – James R. Holley returned his stock to the corporation to prepare for full retirement.
- 2012 – Thomas L. Wallace returned his stock to the corporation to prepare for full retirement.
- December 2014 – Dennis E. Sarpen sold his stock to Jeffrey S. Spangler, Jr., Jason M. Brenneman and Dena D. Heiland.
- January 2015 – James W. Barnes became president of James R. Holley & Associates, Inc., with Jeffrey S. Spangler, Jr., Jason M. Brenneman and Dena D. Heiland becoming Vice-Presidents.
- June 2017 – Jim Barnes returned his stock back to the corporation and retired. Jeff Spangler, Jr. became president.
- June 2021 – Jeff Spangler, Jr. returned his stock back to the company and Jason Brenneman became President.
James R. Holley & Associates, Inc. was the first engineering company in York to make a full commitment to automated drafting using AutoCAD software.
Who is James R. Holley & Associates, Inc. Today?
The Company has gone through many changes and jumped over many economic hurdles over the years. This was done by Mr. Holley creating a solid foundation for the business, being involved in the community, and providing excellent service to all clients. Today, JRH & Associates is no different. While ownership has changed, we continue to improve on our solid foundation, strive to be involved in the community, and continue to provide excellent service to all our clients.
- Jason Brenneman, PE – President since June, 2021. Jason has been with JRH since May of 2002. He obtained his Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering from Penn State.
- Dena Heiland – A vice-president since January 2015. Dena has been with JRH as the office manager since 1978.